Toby has over 25 years’ experience in construction, energy and civil engineering disputes. He qualified as a barrister in 1994.
His expertise is wide ranging and he is described by Chambers and Partners UK, as “first rate for both domestic work and international arbitration.” He is recognised as a leader in the field of international arbitration where he has significant experience of leading large teams of lawyers and experts in very substantial and complex arbitral proceedings.
He has represented UK and international clients in many jurisdictions including Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, China, Turkey, Brazil, and USA in addition to various European countries. Where the applicable law of the Arbitration or the Contract has not been UK law, Toby has had great success in co-counselling with other law firms in separate jurisdictions.
Toby also has extensive experience of domestic TCC litigation, adjudication and mediation where he specialises in construction disputes of all shapes and sizes. Recently he has developed a particular focus on cladding issues and the implications of the Grenfell tragedy.
Examples of Toby’s expertise include:
- $200m LCIA Arbitration: Acting for a Kuwaiti Contractor in a substantial and complex dispute relating to oil and gas infrastructure in Kuwait. Toby co-counselled with an American Law firm. The hearing was in London in February and March 2019;
- £600m Tram Extension: One of the UK’s largest infrastructure projects. Toby acted in connection with multiple and substantial disputes between the Contractor, Client and JV partners. Arbitration proceedings took place in London in 2018;
- £125m ICC Arbitration: Acting for state owned corporation in relation to oil pipeline in Turkey. Toby co-counselled with local lawyers;
- Grenfell Tragedy: Toby represents a leading insulation manufacturer in connection with the implications of Grenfell and the impact of changes to building regulations relating to cladding of buildings over 18m in height;
- £50m series of Adjudications relating to a waste to energy plant in the UK;
- £180m redevelopment of landmark London Hotel. Toby led a team dealing with final account negotiations and various subcontract disputes, TTC Litigation and arbitrations;
- various professional negligence against quantity surveyors, architects and engineers. Value of disputes up to £30 million;
- acting for contractor in final account adjudications and arbitrations relating to high-class residential refurbishment in West London. Value of dispute £4 million;
- acting for contractor in connection with the defence of a TCC claim for multiple defects in high-profile London office development. Value of claim £5 million.
Toby contributed to the Standard Industry Precedents for Butterworths, and is a regular contributor to various construction publications. He also undertakes in-house training for clients on a variety of construction topics.
Toby's memberships/positions include:
- Lincoln’s Inn-Called to the Bar 1994;
- member of the Society of Construction Law;
- member of the Adjudication Society;
- member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.